Thursday, January 28, 2010

Classes in General

So, I just returned from having my last class of the week. So now I've had every class at least once.

My Italian class is pretty good. I'm not really used to having a class every day of the week, so it's a bit of a bummer to do work for it every night. Hahhaa, I wouldn't have been able to believe that a couple of years ago! But yeah, it's fine. It's a perfectly fine way to start the day. I always end up arriving to campus a little early, so I make sure to utilize the great cafe with cappuccino! Oh my. I'm down to two a day, and that's pretty good. At .70, they're hard to beat, and the ones that you can get out a machine in Villa Natalia are half the price for a respectable moccacino. Wow, listen to me, I sound like an old salt! Or something... maybe I don't know how to use that reference?

Italian Cinema is great. My professor reminds me of Stockard Channing, who was my first childhood crush as Rizzo in Grease the movie. She's great! She was also Walter Murch's assistant for some time. Her experience was very impressive, and she also seems to know her way around a classroom which is great. We got to watch the film "L'Ultimo Bacio" in class, which means "The Last Kiss." Zach Braff starred in an American remake of it, but --honestly-- this is the only one you'll ever need to see. It was so good. And ROMANTIC! Wow, firey at times. Very European. I'm going to the Odeon movie theatre with that class at some point to see some movie as it comes out. So that's cool.

The Etruscans is a class that I'm particularly excited for. I'm pretty much going to be learning Ancient Italian History/Archaeology from a brilliant sounding guy who's been working in the field for DECADES. Unbelievable. We are going on two class trips. One to Rome to see the Palatine and Capitoline Hills, the Forum, etc, and then we're doing an overnight trip where we're touring around to no less than five cities and going to archaeological sites there. On top of that, there's the opportunity to accompany the professor on a dig over the summer in... Lucca? Chianti? Whatever it is, I'm going to see if I can tag along for a week before my Commedia experience begins!

Renaissance Apprenticeship sounds INTENSE. It's a lot of drawing and painting, which is great because I was confused as to the nature of the class. Pretty much, it's a studio art class where I can only use materials that were around in the Renaissance. I was semi-under the impression that I would be only creating these media and maybe throwing together little scribbles on paper with them, but NO! It's a lot of drawing and painting. For example, the one trip that we are taking is to the Vatican City. We're getting there in the morning and drawing for five hours nonstop. We're copying art mostly, but I'm definitely still intrigued as to the process. It isn't anyone that we're copying, I'm talking Raffaele, Michelangelo, and Giotto. It's going to be crazy.

And that's it... those are all my classes. Save for the Italian, they only meet once a week... three hours at a time. So, that's new! More next time AND PICTURES!

No comments:

Post a Comment